|Stegomyia albopicta biting human skin
This mosquito is common in Japan without Northern Tohoku and Hokkaido districts.
|Armigeres subalbatus biting human skin
This mosquito is called ''Big Armigeres'' in Japan.
I dislike mosquito bites, so I have studied mosquitoes and I have tried to produce new trap or new repellents. Moreover, I hoped to answer questions about mosquitoes, for example, which person is easy to be bitten. So I tested volunteers and estimated rank of easiness to be bitten by mosquitoes. In Japan, many people are troubled by mosquito bites in summer. Japanese people are mainly bitten by Ae. albopictus and Cx. pipiens pallens. Therefore, they use mosquito coils, mosquito liquid and mat including pesticides. On the other hand, Japanese laboratories of medical entomology have rapidly been changed into other laboratories or disappeared. Laboratories dealing with mosquitoes are very few. However, risk of invasion by dengue fever, malaria, West Nile Virus and yellow fever still exists even in Japan. Japanese pest control operators mainly fight with cockroaches and mice, and seldom execute mosquito control. Operators from self-government body or pest management company simply spray trees with pesticides.
I studied mosquitoes in Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical Univ. in Japan. However, this laboratory had already changed into infectious diseases laboratory without medical entomology.
I wish to start mosquito control service, and sell goods against mosquitoes.
My papers follow;
1. Yoshikazu Shirai, Kiyoshi Kamimura, Taisuke Seki and Masaaki Morohashi. Proboscis amputation facilitates the study of mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) attractants, repellents and host preference. J. Med. Entomol. 37: 637-639 2000
2. Yoshikazu Shirai, Kiyoshi Kamimura, Taisuke Seki and Masaaki Morohashi. L-lactic acid as a mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) repellent on human and mouse skin. J. Med. Entomol. 38: 51-54 2001
3. Yoshikazu Shirai, Takao Tsuda, Shinya Kitagawa, Ken Naitoh, Taisuke Seki, Kiyoshi Kamimura and Masaaki Morohashi
Alcohol ingestion stimulates mosquito attraction
J. Am. Mosq. Assoc. 18(2): 91-96 2002
4. Yoshikazu Shirai, Hisashi Funada, Kiyoshi Kamimura, Taisuke Seki and Masaaki Morohashi
Landing sites on the human body preferred by Aedes albopictus
J. Am. Mosq. Assoc. 18(2): 97-99 2002
5. Yoshikazu Shirai, Hisashi Funada, HIsao Takizawa, Taisuke Seki, Masaaki Morohashi and Kiyoshi Kamimura
Landing Preference of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) on Human Skin Among ABO Blood Groups, Secretors or Nonsecretors, and ABH Antigens
J. Med. Entomol. 41(4): 796-799 2004
Yoshikazu Shirai, Ph. D
Thanks to H.Funada, K.Kamimura, T.Matsuse, T.Seki, M.Morohashi, S.Doi, H.Takizawa, T.Tsuda, T.Ikeshoji, T.Yano, H.Kawada, M.Takagi, Y.Tsuda, K.Buei, I. Miyagi, M.Mogi, M.Horio, T.Kurihara, T.Ikemoto, M.Kobayashi, N.Miyata, S.Fujii, C.Uehara, H.Takahashi, J.Komukai, H.Motojima, H.Nakajima, Y.Kobayashi, Y.Tohkura, K.Miwa, Y.Ishiguro, K.Okumura, H.Itagaki, T.Kamikubo, H.Shirai, K.Shirai, E.Kuno, H.Tanaka, K.Takakura.